Have you got data you want to load? Or do you like sharing your skills for working with financial data? Would you like to help other community members to clean and prepare data?
Join the Data team and help to prepare and load data into OpenSpending and to support community members with data-related issues.
Easiest way to get started is by jumping on the mailing list and saying hello or by checking out the data team issue tracker to see where help is needed with datasets.
- OpenSpending Data Wrangling mailing list - open to everyone interested in data side of things
- Data team issue tracker - we manage our list of datasets we are working on in this issue tracker
- Data Team guide - detailed data team guide (especially useful for new joiners)
What Data Team does
As a member of the Data Team you will help prepare and upload data to OpenSpending. You’ll work on things like:
- Clean the data: Spending data often suffer from being messy and full of peculiar errors. You will be there to give the data some care and attendance with tools such as Open Refine to fix the mess.
- Sanity check: Sometimes a sanity check from you is needed to confirm that the numbers add up and that the budget actually makes sense.
- Format the data: You will need to fit the data for the OpenSpending load function.
- Keep track of spending data waiting in line at the Progress Page. At OpenSpending we would like to upload datasets quickly after their discovery.
- Share tips and tricks on how to work with spending data with the community of users at our Data Clinics, trainings and Spending Data Parties.
The most important requirement is enthusiasm! In addition, if you know how to use a spreadsheet and what a CSV file is that’s more than sufficient. We have a strong community who can help you grow your data skills. Programming skills and detailed knowledge of budgets is a plus but not required;-)
We will provide a short induction on how to work with OpenSpending and you will also have your peers in the data team to help out.
We generally coordinate the work in Spending Data sprints, where you and the team upload a series of datasets within a designated period of time (e.g. 2 weeks). By working in sprints you can contain the required workload, while still harvesting the benefits of working closely with fellow data wranglers via IRC, Skype and Hangout. We emphasize that work can also be done asynchronously – so if, say, you only have an hour free every Sunday at a particular time, that’s absolutely fine too!
We will feature your profile on the OpenSpending site along with the rest of the Data Team.
Official sign up
You don’t need to formally sign up to start contributing - you can dive in following instructions above. However, if you fill in the form below you’ll help us connect with you and find you something to do that matches your skills and abilities.